COHEMO AND UMILES DEMONSTRATE THE SATURNO DRONE FOR PERIMETER SURVEILLANCE AT CENAD ZARAGOZA
Once the 1st March was set as the date for the dynamic demonstration of the UMILES SATURNO drone, the DEMO took place in accordance with the established programme.
The demonstration was presided over by the Chief Engineer Colonel of the Centre, Mr. Alfredo Penon Cámara, who was accompanied by his communications and security specialist staff. Also present was Commander Miguel Molines Villanueva, representing the Engineering Headquarters of the ET Logistics Command, accompanied by ISDEFE personnel.
SATURNO is an unmanned aircraft manufactured 100% in Spain. It is designed for the most demanding security operations in the most hostile environments, as well as beach and mountain rescue operations.
One of the great advantages provided by SATURNO is that, being equipped with high-resolution cameras and stabilisers, it is capable of transmitting a very clear image that can even serve as judicial evidence in the case of detection of a crime. Thanks to the numerous benefits derived from the use of drones, both State Security Forces and private security companies are incorporating unmanned aircraft into their surveillance work, which translates into faster, more efficient, cost-effective and safer work for personnel, who can access complicated or inaccessible places without the risk of direct intervention.
With its interchangeable payload system, it has a multitude of sensors for different operations:
- Dual camera with RGB and thermal sensors to search for persons
- Night vision camera with IR laser for viewing up to 500 metres in total darkness
- High-resolution cameras with 30X optical zoom for observation of even the smallest details at a distance of more than 2 km
- Transport and release system for various items such as first aid kit, defibrillator, communication system, thermal blankets, etc.
- Integrated megaphone with independent message transmission device (walkietalkie).
- Sending of images in real time via web server with a latency of less than 300 ms, with the option of monitoring it on mobile devices, computers and control centres.
- Collection of aerial data in hazardous locations ensuring the safety of security teams.
- Increased efficiency of standard search and rescue patterns (Expanding Square, Sector Search, Parallel Search, Creeping Line).
The full range of capabilities that the platform can offer for the benefit of security tasks for installations as large as a manoeuvring field were demonstrated.
The CENAD staff was left with a very good taste in their mouths after this demonstration, also from the MALE staff as specialised and experienced personnel in the most technological issues.
The SYSTEM TEST SHEET, provided by MALE, was prepared. It is a generic data sheet used in the demonstrations, to be completed with the specifications provided by the company. It is quite exhaustive, although it is not intended to obtain all the data.
The next step is that both the MALE engineering management and the CENAD management will issue a report that will set out the way forward. COHEMO/UMILES will keep an eye on these reports and will continue to work on the development and/or improvement of the system's capabilities.